Wednesday, April 02, 2008

About two years ago, I read this book called "In His Steps" It is a classic by Charles Sheldon. It is not at typical book I would read, as it was somewhat old fashioned like... sorta written different than something that would catch my attention. At the time I was so seeking anything at all that would teach me about real faith in Christ, and how to live that life. It took me awhile to get into it, but soon....I read nothings else. Now, every time I see the book at a used store, I buy it. I have 6,7...8 copies perhaps. I want everyone to read it. Even though the setting and characters are dorky, in my opinion, the message is awesome! A pastor of a church gets tired of his congregation not "being real". He is tired of people talking the talk, but not walking the walk. He makes a challenge to those who truly want to make a difference and commit themselves. They cannot do anything at all without first asking themselves, "what would Jesus do?" NO matter what it might be...... business related, personal ~~ all of their life, at every minute. Is it something Jesus would do, and if not, why are they then. Also, to take a look at things that they are not doing that they should..like getting to know their neighbors, giving of self, giving of money, living each day as it is the last.

I want our church to do this. I want to do this. I cannot imagine the difference we could make as a community of believers if we seriously took every single thing to God before making a decision. If we simply asked, "what would Jesus do?" And then, if we responded as Jesus would. We would need the support of each other, we would need the backing and encouragement. I wonder if there is a bible study on this out there somewhere? I'll let you know what I find. God Bless!

4 comments:

  1. I am also a fan of In His Steps...in fact have been touring a one-man show dramatic adaptation of the book since 1984. Check it out at www.mastersimage.com.
    Perhaps your church would like to have me come and perform it sometime.
    Chuck Neighbors

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will go check out the website, thanks!! Do you live local?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know... I live locally for me:-) Not sure where you are. I am in Oregon. But I travel all over the country doing my performances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. duh to me...I just assumed you knew I was from Indiana. I did check out your website, I would love to see it. I looked at the schedule...didn't see anything coming this way soon. I would love to see you. We are soon to be moving into a new church, perhaps when we get there, we could invite you to come! I am very much a visual person....I know that I would love it!

    ReplyDelete