Monday, November 26, 2007

Called vs Driven


oh wow.... my nephew gave me this new book to read! How could I resist? I didn't want to so quickly break my plan of being patient though, sooooooo... I just put the other books away. Decided to be finished with them, and only concentrate on this. I consider that a half way decent trade to staying on track and being patient at the same time ;-)


OK...so, this book is called Ordering Your Private World it is written by Gordon MacDonald. I am pretty positive he might have written it for me! I haven't gotten real far, but things are just hitting me left and right of how much I needed this book! Thanks Billy!!


So far in this book I have learned about the huge difference in being driven vs being called. I don't think I am the extreme "DRIVEN PERSON" as this book describes, but I certainly fit into some of it. It is sort of funny as I am reading it, I am thinking to myself...wow, is this how Billy sees me? I so hope not! He read the book himself a little while ago, and told me that it has made the biggest influence on his life than any book ever has, minus the bible. He is now full time following the calling of ministry preparation. The book is about a renovation of your life. A quote in it by the author, "If my private world is in order, it will be because I am convinced that the inner world of the spiritual must govern the outer world of activity." He goes on to tell that if our inner world is neglected it cannot sustain the weight of events and stresses that the outer world presses upon us. He tells about people who have gained much in their outer world... academics degrees, work promotions, physical strength, beauty,toys, cars, houses.. and yet they are still empty. People have come to think the faster their day flies by, the more they have packed into it, the more they are unavailable to loved ones and private obligations due to work obligations, the more meetings, more learning opportunities... they think this is success. All of these things though make everything else be on the verge of collapse, including yourself! Don't ever, ever be to busy to maintain your private world, your inner life, your soul.

I am on page 65 and loving this book. The author writes in a style that captivates you. He is real, and he is honest. http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=88640&p=1010575#curr Go here and click on excerpt to read a bit from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment