Monday, July 21, 2008

Let the little children come to me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. Mark 10:14

I have heard this said over and over. For a long time I thought God just liked kids better! I really didn't understand the whole implication of being childlike. I could see the innocence perhaps, but what was it that so made children rank so high with God?

I have been reading a book called "Approaching God" by Steve Brown. It is a book that is basically telling us that prayer isn't some big fancy thing. It is simply communication between a child and his father. In our desire to be a grown up and to fit in to this world, we forget about the child qualities that are so endearing to all. Jesus specifically said that unless we are converted and become like children, we will not enter heaven. What does this mean? I don't know exactly, but I think I have a better picture now.

God is the kind of father everyone wants. He likes to spend time with his children. He cares and he loves us unconditionally. A love that is hard to comprehend at times. Remember this as you go to him. Lay aside your inhibitions, there is no right or wrong way to pray. The heart of the matter is where the importance lies. If you don't know what to say, tell God just that! Don't know where to start? No problem, Tell him that and start in the middle if you want to. It isn't like he doesn't already know...but he still wants you to discuss it with him. Have that childlike faith. Childlike trust.

The following is from the book, Approaching God: "Have that childlike joy.. no matter what happens, there is always joy around the corner! When was the last time you giggled and didn't care what anyone thought? When was the last time you did something "improper" and took joy in it? When was the last time you sang and danced and didn't care if someone thought you lost your mind? When is the last time that you lay in the grass just to look at the sky? What about honesty?, Is there anything so honest as child in just telling it how it is? "

As I read all of this from Steve Brown's book, it began to dawn on me what God means by being a child. Being real, enjoying life, being honest, true to yourself and the joy within you. Let the little children come to me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. Mark 10:14

No comments:

Post a Comment