Sunday, July 13, 2008

Whatever You do to the Least of These

We went and walked for a bit downtown this evening. A young girl, possibly 20, came up to us and asked if we had any extra change. We actually had no money on us at all, just a debit card. I apologetically told her so. She just smiled and walked on. I had never had this happen to me in Bloomington before. I have been to various places and had people approach me for money, but never here in my hometown. Something about her just pulled my heart in. I don't know for sure what it was. She seemed so innocent. She appeared to be pregnant. She was clean and somewhat timid really.

We were actually almost back to our car prior to her asking us. We got in, and I felt sick about it. I felt like it was a chance for me to be Jesus to someone, and I had struck out. We began to drive and I asked Greg if it was wrong of me to not give her anything. We both felt funny about it. We also don't know when we are being taken advantage of and when someone needs help. How do you know this? I got to thinking about how hard that would be to go and ask someone if they had any extra change. a complete stranger. Then I wondered what made her choose us? She had walked by others on her way to us. Did we look more approachable and friendly? Was it my shirt that said, "Spread The Love"? Was I spreading the love? Was God giving me an opportunity to be an angel here on earth, and I just walked right by it? How do you know what is right?

We had planned on getting a bite to eat, but by this point I could not eat. It just seemed wrong. The rest of the way home I prayed about it. We pulled into our driveway and I really felt like God was telling me to go in and grab some money and take it to her, to help her...but to also tell her about Him. I conveyed this Greg and he was fine with that.

I had ordered some booklets awhile back that have the Gospel of John in them. They are real small, decorative, and easy to read. I grabbed one of those as well, and headed back to the car. I drove to where we had seen her, but I couldn't find her. I circled back around, no luck. I felt the need to do it one more time. I did, and I saw her. I went back around the block, I pulled the car over, and got out. I walked up to her and talked a little, handed her the book and the money. She seemed shocked that I came back. She smiled. As I turned to leave, she said "Bless You". I wanted to hug her, but I didn't. I didn't want to freak her out.

It was done, I had already been blessed. My heart felt right again. So did God put this person in my path? Did I make a difference to her? Did I help her, Did I hinder her? Will she read the book? Did she hear the words I said? I don't know. I don't know at all. What I do know is that I have peace about reaching out and trying to be Jesus. I think that is what we are to do. I will pray for her and I know that will do her more good that all the money in the world. I may go back later this week and see if I see her again. Ask if she had a chance to read the book... Be praying about that encounter for me.

1 comment:

  1. Well done thy good and faithful servant.

    Thank you for being you! Thank you for being obedient!

    Because of the things I've been through, I have a real soft spot for those who are struggling and those who are homeless. I have done much the same, many times in my life.

    I'm so glad that God wires some to be givers and encouragers!

    ReplyDelete